Aged Care Managers
The majority of people in aged care have experienced trauma, loss and/or grief at some point in their lives, which can impact both residents and staff. Our resources provide a person-centred approach that can build a sense of safety, control and empowerment for the trauma-affected individual, and help your staff look after their own wellbeing.
On this page:
• Trauma-Informed Practice
• Trauma-Informed Service Delivery
• Psychological First Aid for Managers
• Training courses for Managers
• Wellbeing and Self-Care
Understanding Trauma-Informed Care
Without the right tools in place, trauma can be difficult to identify and manage. The below resources will help you understand trauma, and how an aged care organisation can better operate to support someone who has experienced trauma.
Trauma, Loss and Grief
Many older Australians have experienced trauma, grief and loss in their life. Watching this brief video about the effects of trauma on older people will help you to understand their needs.
What is Trauma-Informed Care?
Watch this short video to learn key aspects of Trauma-Informed Care (TIC). TIC can help improve day-to-day interactions with residents and their loved ones, support staff wellbeing, and create an environment that feels safe for everyone.
When working with someone with trauma, it’s important to build a safe and trusting relationship. Watch this video to learn how to build a sense of connection with older people, even during brief interactions.
Implementing Trauma-Informed Care
The resources below provide guidance on how to deliver Trauma-Informed Services using examples, standards, cultural competence advice and tips for practising person-centred, trauma-informed care.
The self-assessment tool will help identify whether your organisation operates from a Trauma-Informed perspective and how to implement trauma-informed practice and policies.
Checklist: Trauma-informed care in practice
This checklist is designed for aged care leaders and managers. It outlines the key actions required to implement best practice in trauma-informed care. The core actions in this checklist aim to:
– Build staff knowledge and skills so they can deliver care in a trauma-informed way
– Create an organisational culture and leadership that value and promote a trauma-informed approach
– Have policies and processes that support trauma-informed practices
Training and Psychological First Aid for Managers
Our training modules: Trauma-Informed Care (TIC) and Psychological First Aid (PFA) will equip you with practical strategies to implement at your facility. Key learning objectives include:
Understanding the impacts of Trauma in an Aged-Care context; and
Supporting staff to deliver trauma-informed care.
Psychological First Aid
Psychological First Aid (PFA) is a practical, flexible, and recommended approach to helping people in the aftermath of trauma. This course is designed to help you:
· Understand and identify the impact of traumatic experiences on people’s wellbeing
· Develop skills for supporting older people and staff who have experienced trauma
· Connect people with social and practical supports that will aid their recovery
· Look after yourself as a Psychological First Aid provider.
Trauma Informed Care Training
Trauma-Informed Care for Managers – This course provides information and practical strategies to:
- support your staff to deliver trauma-informed care
- create a safe care environment responsive to the needs of older people affected by trauma
- support staff wellbeing and safety
- implement trauma-informed care in your organisation by providing resources and tips for policy and workforce capacity development
Wellbeing and Self-Care
As a manager of an aged care facility, you are no stranger to stress; there are many people relying on you, including staff who may be impacted by trauma. Learn some practical skills to help you manage stress and improve your own wellbeing.
How can trauma affect me? Fact Sheet
trauma: How do I look after myself?
Fact Sheets in your language
- Caring for older people:
How a can trauma affect me?
- رعاية كبار السن المتأثرين بالصدمة النفسية: كيف اعتني بنفسي؟
- सदरे से प्रभान्वत ्वद्धृ िोगों की देखभाि किना: रैं
अपना धयान कै से िखू?
- Pangangalaga sa matatanda na
naapektuhan ng trauma Paano ko
pangangalagaan ang aking sarili?
Webinar Self-Care video
Caring for others is rewarding but it can impact on your health and wellbeing. This video is a gentle reminder to prioritise your own well-being and practice self-care.
Self-care: Looking after your wellbeing and the health of your staff
Looking after ourselves and each other is essential. This brief video explores a number of practical wellbeing strategies for aged care managers.
Skills for Life Adjustment and Resilience (SOLAR) Wellbeing Program
An online program for employees of aged care services who want extra skills to build their emotional resilience or recover after stressful or distressing events, and trauma.
As you work through SOLAR you’ll build a toolkit of skills that can boost your mood, improve your wellbeing, decrease your stress, and help you recover after trauma.
If you have 5 minutes, you can start right now. Your progress is saved, so you can move in and out of the different topics and skills as it suits you.